Location: Sopron, Győri út 15.
Senior architects: TIMA Zoltán, NÉMETH Tamás
Associate architects: TÖLGYESI Kaplony, STEIN Zoltán, MOLNÁR J. Tibor, RÁTI Orsolya, MÉLYKÚTI-PAPP Dóra, SZABÓ Máté
Interior designer: KERECSÉNYI Zsuzsa
Landscape designer: HAVASSY Gabriella
The construction of the hospital in Sopron began in 1910 at the former confines of the town, along the busiest main road and very close to the Győr–Sopron–Ebenfurt railway line. In 1915, monarch Franz Josef I approved the hospital to be named after Queen Elisabeth. Erzsébet Hospital opened on 23 June 1919 with 180 beds and four departments: surgery, internal medicine, dermatology and venereology, as well as obstetrics and gynaecology.
During the complete reconstruction of the hospital in the 1990s, active departments and outpatient consulting units were renewed, neurology and psychiatry were relocated to a new building. Along with the development of hospital equipment, a centrally located diagnostic centre was seriously required, accessible from the pavilions through a closed underground connection. A suitable area was created after the demolition of the single-storey Building V. During the construction, particular emphasis was laid upon the preservation of the remaining vegetation, on the re-establishment of the protected botanic garden, as well as on the integration of the corridors, paths and benches around the new building.
The “shifted and diagonally symmetrical” design of the new building is based upon the space requirement of the nursing units on the first floor, the diagnostic and outpatient care on the ground floor, consisting of four major units. The floor plan is divided into five parts (arranged along four parallel corridors), which is a good formula for providing access to groups of rooms in order to have an "efficient layout". The natural light for the functional spaces of the interior – waiting rooms on the ground floor, medical rooms on the first floor – is provided by the regularly located internal courtyards and atriums. The designed structure offers clear and transparent interior spaces, helping the often anxious patients to have a more relaxed and well-balanced stay in the hospital. For the same reasons, both the interior and the exterior materials are clear-cut and uniform, showing the dignity of the function involved. The same objective is served by the use of white paint on the façade and in the interior corridors.
Besides the two floors with the major functions, a basement has been constructed under a part of the building with the main role of providing an indoor connection to the neighbouring buildings. The waste containers, general store-rooms, electrical and mechanical rooms, as well as the changing rooms are located at the basement. The mechanical equipment on the roof is optically and acoustically covered by the elliptical superstructures, which are independent from the square geometry of the building. The park around the building has also been remodelled, the pavements at the end of the corridors on the ground floor and the first floor are connected to open personnel entrances and emergency escapes. The paved area in front of the entrance of the new building is suitable for the operation requirements of the fire brigade. The main entrance is accessible both through the ramp from (the main) Building III and the stairs on the south-eastern side along the axis between Buildings II and IV. There are two parking places for disabled people next to the new building.