SEMMELWEIS UNIVERSITY TRANSPLANTATION AND SURGERY CLINIC – RECONSTRUCTION
Architect: CSONTOS Csaba
The reconstruction of the more than 100 year old building has preserved its original, palace-like appearance and the ornate style of its public areas. The interior spaces have been totally remodelled according to the most up-to-date medical and educational requirements.
The building was built in 1896 as the surgery centre of the university, in late eclectic style, with ornate brick architecture reminiscent of a palace. Various parts of the building had been altered in the post-war decades, it accommodated the National Institute of Traumatology for a long time. The condition of the building had gradually deteriorated and it was put out of use by the late 1980s.
Reconstruction of the building for the purpose of the Transplantation and Surgery Clinic started in 1988. The building has retained its original form during the reconstruction and it has regained its decorative elements; at the same time it has been completely remodelled to meet the modern functional requirements. The entrance hall and the main corridors have been refurbished with modern materials, but their design has been adjusted to the original style and design of the building. There are three air-conditioned operating rooms, a radiology unit, an isotope laboratory, an ultrasound and endoscopy unit, a central laboratory and several lecture rooms with modern equipment in the building. There are 1-5 bed wards for the patients and a 12 bed intensive department; the clinic has a total of 88 beds, including those in the surgery and transplantation departments.
Location: Budapest VIII., Baross utca 23–26. Built: 1994 Architect: CSONTOS Csaba Associate architects: BÁLINT Zoltán, ÁCS István Interior architect: PLACHTOVICS Vilmos Area: