Architect: POTZNER Ferenc
The Main Guard House, the Stöckl Steps and the Royal Riding Hall have been rebuilt in their original form and location. Their completion is a milestone in the reconstruction works of the Buda Castle complex, these are the first total reconstructions of the historic buildings.
The reconstruction of the Buda royal castle, plundered during Turkish occupation and ravaged by the fights for its liberation, had begun in 1748. After several intervals, rebuildings and enlargements, the whole complex was completed in 1905, managed by chief architect Hauszmann Alajos. The castle complex suffered serious damages during World War II. The following reconstruction focused on the presentation of the medieval remains, so everything was demolished that interfered with this intent. The Riding Hall was demolished in the 1950s, the Main Guard House and the Stöckl Steps in 1971, so the younger generations have got used to the incomplete state of the castle district. After many years of preliminary studies and concept development, reconstruction began in 2016, within the framework of the first phase of the National Hauszmann Project. The landscaping around the buildings will probably be finished in the second half of 2021. Construction drawings were prepared with great care, using original, archived drawings, high resolution old photos and studies made by art historians, to achieve the truest possible solutions. The period details sometimes had to be designed based on analogy.
All the architectural elements, every capital, fascia, tympanum and statue that can be found on the Main Guard House building, were designed in accordance with original drawings and old photos. The brick wall was built using Roman cement, the stone wall, the statues, wall lamps, windows, doors and railings are all authentic reconstructions. Despite the up-to-date structure, the new building has the same contour as the original one and the shape of the roof also follows that of the Hauszmann building. The originally simple interior accommodates a kitchen and restaurant. The exhibition on the upper floor evokes the spirit of the enlightenment, the writer-officers of the Hungarian Royal Guard and the neologists of the 18-19th centuries. There is also a room for 3D historic film presentation. A new element on the building is the artistic bronze gate, which opens from Csikós courtyard to the bottommost archeological area. Its reliefs depict different scenes from Hungarian history.
The Royal Riding Hall, true to its name, was a splendid and luxurious building, which has been reconstructed with period details. The carvings of the open roof structure, the lamps, wall lamps, stained glass windows, the ornaments of the royal box and the orchestra box all enhance the elegance of the interior. The reconstructed building has been designed for multifunctional use, it serves the equestrian traditions but can also be the optimal venue of different events. The mounted oak floor of the hall can be dismantled and the pit can be filled with 20 cm thick sand for equestrian use.
The Stöckl Steps, which connects the Hunyadi courtyard and the Csikós courtyard, has been rebuilt in its origainal place, between the Main Guard House and the National Széchenyi Library. The restored statue of the Wrangler restraining his horse has been put back in its original location.
Location: Budapest I. Budai Várnegyed
Architect: POTZNER Ferenc
Associate architects: MAKAY András, PATAK Gergely, MIKLÓS Zsófia, DEICHLER Tímea, KÓRÓDY Márta, ŐRI Borbála, PROHÁSZKA Aurél, SOLTÉSZ László, TÓTH Balázs, VARGA Éva, BORBÉLY András, BOZSÓ Barna, DÁNYÁDI Sára, CSÓKA Attila Róbert
Main Guard House area: 670 m2
Riding Hall area: 840 m2
Stöckl Steps area: 100 m2