Architects: POTZNER Ferenc, MAGYARI Éva és PAZÁR Béla (MNDP Építőművészeti Kft.)
The outstanding Art-Nouveau building has been reconstructed and its interior spaces have been enlarged to meet the requirements of the 21st century, serving the world-famous Hungarian music culture, the education of highest standard and the concerts. New, modern spaces have been created for these two main functions, nevertheless the original atmosphere of the building has been preserved. The building was awarded the Europa Nostra Prize in 2015, as an outstanding example of the best historic reconstructions.
The Academy of Music, founded in 1875, had outgrown its original premises soon. The new building, designed by Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl, was built between 1904 and 1907 and it became a Gesamtkunstwerk, a total work of art. The best artists and craftsmen worked on the exterior and the interior of the building. The facades have richly carved Sóskút limestone cladding, the plinths are clad with carved and polished granite blocks and the main facade is decorated with rich architectural ornaments, statues, stone and bronze friezes. The Academy of Music is one of the first Hungarian public buildings which has reinforced concrete structures. The complete reconstruction of the building was decided in 2003. Owing to the reconstruction, the building offers more up-to-date conditions and a larger area for concerts and education. The interior has been enlarged by about 3000 square metres, strictly observing the regulations of historic monument protection. The refurbished interior spaces are exceptionally beautiful, they have been preserved in their original form, with authentic finishes and colouring, according to a complex iconographic program.
The public areas of the building have been enlarged by utilizing the two courtyards. The ground floor of the multi-storey courtyard on the Király Street side accommodates a snack-bar which serves the educational part of the institution in the daytime and the Grand Hall in the evening. There is another snack-bar in the courtyard between the Chamber Hall and the Grand Hall, above the library on the first floor, connected to the Chamber Hall, it is suitable for smaller events and receptions as well. The stage and the rigging-loft have been replaced in the Chamber Hall, so now it is suitable for teaching purposes and also as the venue of chamber opera and historic opera performances. The classrooms have been remodelled according to the requirements of modern music education with up-to-date floating floors, soundproof partition walls and acoustic wall cladding, preserving or restoring the original spatial system. The Grand Hall is the best-known, most decorated space of the Academy of Music, greatly loved both by the artists and the audience. The Hall had to be refurbished preserving its original image, but also providing up-to-date technical background.
The development of the premises included the missing infrastructure of the concerts as well; modern stage technology and systems, an instrument storage room, changing rooms of sufficient size and number for the orchestra and the choir, changing rooms for solo artists and a special, modern studio to record the events in the concert halls had to be provided. The vibration-free and soundproof boiler room and HVAC mechanical rooms have been installed on the top floor, while the mechanical room of the Grand Hall is located in the bridge structure, supported by new reinforced concrete service blocks, located at the back parts of the courtyards. An air-conditioned instrument storage room has been built in the basement, under the stage of the Grand Hall.
Location: Budapest VI., Liszt Ferenc tér 8. Built: 2013 Architects: POTZNER Ferenc (KÖZTI Zrt.), MAGYARI Éva és PAZÁR Béla (MNDP Építőművészeti Kft.) Interior architects: MAGYARI Éva és PAZÁR Béla (MNDP Építőművészeti Kft.) Area: 11,000 m2