Architect: MAROSI Miklós
The surgery centre has been built as the first phase of a development plan, accommodating the hospital’s new and modern diagnostic units, outpatient departments and 200 hospital beds. The height and the scale of the new building have been adapted to the art nouveau main building of the hospital and also to the garden city ambience of Zugló.
The core of the present hospital complex, the main building was built in 1893 as an orphanage. It was bought and converted into a 405 bed hospital by the National Social Security Institute in 1926. In the following decades, the hospital was gradually extended. The complex was nationalized in 1950 and various extensions were built without any concept, in order to meet the emerging requirements. The Uzsoki Street Hospital is a typical “grown” hospital, its area cannot be extended any more. The main building is a nice, protected art nouveau building. A detailed development plan was made by KÖZTI in 1993, which analyzed each building of the hospital, investigated the energy supply possibilities, the transport connections and last but not least, the long-term health-care concept which defined the hospital’s future profile, catchment area and range of activity. The surgery centre has been built as the first phase of this development, accommodating the hospital’s new and modern diagnostic units, outpatient departments and 200 hospital beds. The direct connection between the old building and the new surgery centre fundamentally improves the conditions of medical care. Together with the proposed further phases, the hospital meets the most up-to-date organizational requirements of our time.
The new hospital block has been built on the corner of Róna Street and Korong Street. The building consists of a basement, ground floor, three storeys and an attic accommodating the mechanical rooms. The spatial arrangement emphasizes the characteristics of a public building. The new pavilions have been built as a series of units around two large atrium aulas, preserving the functional advantages of the block hospitals, but at the same time their interior size and proportions create human-scale spaces. The new building and the refurbished main building are connected by short, covered and glazed bridges on ground floor and third floor level. The new building accommodates a kitchen with 900 portions capacity, a staff canteen, a central pharmacy, a transformer station, a central mattress sterilization unit, a central sterilization unit, as well as outpatient care and radiology units. There is also an ecumenical chapel, six 32-bed, diagonally organized wards, an intensive care department, 11 operating rooms with the required support units, a central reception unit, a trauma operating room, mechanical areas, as well as various rooms for the visitors.
The building has reinforced concrete structure and flat roof. The facades are clad with yellow sand-lime brick of smooth and rustic surface, which appear on the walls of the aulas as well. The building has been constructed in a very high technical quality. The most up-to-date medical technology equipment and the low-key, durable building materials guarantee the long-term, safe operation of the hospital. New parking areas have been established for the new building, the ambulance and service traffic of the hospital have changed. New gate-houses have been built at both entrances, their design and finish have been coordinated with the new building. The surgery centre got the Budapest Architecture Award in 2002.
Location: Budapest XIV., Uzsoki utca 29–41.
Architect: MAROSI Miklós
Associate architects: ÁCS István, SEBŐ István, NÉMETH Csaba
Interior architect: SZÉKELYI Zsuzsa
Area: 24.540 m2